Tom Kha Soup
Tom Kha Soup
| Vegatable Stock || 1 cup |
| Coconut Milk || 1 cup |
| Lemongrass || ½ stalk |
| Galangal || 6 slices |
| Kaffir lime leaves || 2 hand torn |
| Serrano Chillies || 2-3 (big pieces) |
| Lime Juice || 2 tbsp. |
| Sugar || ½ tsp |
| Cilantro leaves || handful |
| Vegs, tofu, mushrooms || appropriate volume |
| Salt || to taste |
Makes 2-3 bowls of soup, preparation time is about 15-20 minutes. This is a vegetarian version: vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, tofu & vegs. instead of boneless chicken, and salt instead of fish sauce. Also, if Kaffir lime leaves are not available use Lime Zest. The lime juice should be added at the end.
- Use only the bottom white part of the lemongrass (about 6 inches) and discard the woody grass part of it.
- With the flat side of a cleaver or a heavy object, pound and bruise the lemongrass so it releases the flavour. Cut into 2 inch segments.
- Put the stock into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Toss the galangal, lemongrass, sugar, and lime leaves in. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chillies, salt and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the vegetables, tofu, etc. and cook for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.